Copyright of Content and Name of Todolwen Karen Bailey 2013

.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Special 'Heart~Felt' ~ Never Forgotten ..

Hello my dear friends,

I haven't created a 'Heart~Felt' in some time now and with Remembrance Day approaching I thought now would be a good time to do so.

I had only ever once before made a single flower from synthetic fabrics where you cut circles from the fabric and then 'melt' the edges with a candle and I thought that this would be such a neat way to create the poppies that I would need for my 'Heart~Felt'.
 
 
I normally don't use bright colors very often but for this creation I bought fabric in beautiful shades of red and in different types and textures, cut my circles in different sizes and then stood at my kitchen sink with my candle and glass of water ( just in case) and 'melted' my flower pieces.

I of course had forgotten that 100 % polyester was the best fabric to use for this project. My 50/50 poly/nylon mix decided not just to melt a little to shape the flower but it ever so slightly burnt turning the edges black as well. But as I say ... things happen for a reason ... I really liked the way they turned out and once I had assembled my poppies the burnt edges of the opaque fabric was exactly what was needed to make my flowers look perfect for my newest creation. Three black glass beads made up the flower center.

 I liked these red blooming pretties so much that I made almost 20 of them there and then. 
 
Not long after that I had the basic 'Heart~Felt' cut from an old woolen blanket that I had felted, then sewn together and stuffed and just needed to work on the layout of the embellishing part and that now took me a little longer until I was happy with it.
 
And this is it ...
 
... my Remembrance 'Heart~Felt'.  
 
  
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
This special 'Heart~Felt' turned out to be exactly what I hoped it would and I hope you like it.
 
Thank you for taking the time and stopping by here at Todolwen  ~ it is always so nice when you do!
 
I hope you are well and life is treating you kind.
 
Have a peaceful and creative day,
 
 
Karen B.  
 
 

9 comments:

  1. this is so pretty love the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Karen and they have such meaning.

    Hugs
    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Karen. So meaningful at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, these are beautiful!
    What a lovely remembrance item...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liebe Karen
    diese Blueten sind sooo wunderschoen!!
    Du zauberst immer wieder Dinge die mich sprachlos machen ;o)
    Liebe Gruesse aus Koeln
    ute

    ReplyDelete